Pinch me, I'm dreaming

Congrats for the QC, but please do write your progress, what you’re doing etc. on the sheet, otherwise I’m completely in the dark. Okay?

1 Like

KakaoTalk does have a desktop version, but… it’s useless if you don’t have a smartphone. You can download the app, create an account… and eventually find out that you actually do need a smartphone to activate the **** thing.

2 Likes

Why are you pinching people? :laughing::joy: A factor of your transmission is time, and place. :wink:

Hmm. Do you mean, that I should be documenting in some way that, “for Episode X, I changed X instances of badly written formatting for italics, X instances of missing commas, and X instances where a word should have been capitalized but was not?”

At one point during my early days with After School Club, I wrote under Team Discussion an extensive list of changes I made to English-language subs, and I was told that I didn’t need to do that because every change I made showed up automatically under the Activities tab. And that is still the case.

I am using Google Sheets for questions I have about anything that doesn’t quite make sense to me.

I don’t know how else (or where else) to write with great specificity the changes I am making.

If I have to type in every single change I make into a Google sheets doc, that will take me two or three hours a day, and I just don’t have that kind of time.

(Also, the number of Google Sheets that overlap in terms of information, the somewhat inconsistent formatting of headings, and the sheer volume of information makes it very difficult also to know where and how to input questions or information.

By accident, this afternoon I ran across a line of dialog in Episode 11 that you re-wrote to change “punk” to “rascal.” I posted a question a couple of days ago about how to de-modernize “punk” but could not find a good word by looking in Google Sheets.

No, no, just write near the episode part “pre-edit willowinlove”
And I have a list of old-fashioned insults, have you seen them?

1 Like

OK, now I understand. I did see the list of insults which is lovely.

Not knowing anything about the Korean word translated “punk,” I have assumed that it is not a really bad insult, since it flies back and forth a lot among siblings in family dramas. But I could not think of an English word that had the right mix of scorn and love. “Rascal” is that word.

2 Likes

@irmar, the process for Tree With Deep Roots is making more sense to me. I have gone in and scribbled my name on episodes eleven and twelve. On the spreadsheet I am adding notes to, I have taken the liberty of adding visual cues to aid me in scrolling through and finding information. I’ve bolded all the episode headings and added bold lines above and below the rows with the episode headings.

NOW I’m ready to rock and roll!

From KPopStarz: “BTS member V has rocked hanbok several times, and he manages to look good no matter what. For the show Run! BTS, V transformed into a handsome male warrior from the Joseon era, exuding the visuals of the main character in a historical drama. For the show, he wore a blue hanbok.”

[I edited the text for formatting issues; I couldn’t help it.:smile:]

I didn’t see a thing on the Status tab. Where did you put your name? (Apart from the Q and A tab)

@irmar, under the Status tab, I put my name like this under episodes 11 and 12. When I am done with all the things that I keep finding (which I hope will be by sometime Sunday), I will put my initials (mws) and the date.

I see that 13 is unlocked, so I will go to that episode next.

Is this okay?

Let’s continue with p.m.s, this is of no interest to the rest of the people in Discussions! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Actual segging/subbing business is better off done elsewhere in the Viki-verse, but I feel the need to post a couple of the current subs in Tree with Deep Roots. The y just strike me funny.

My intention is NOT to throw shade.

Three-plus decades ago, when I had an opportunity (not taken for a number of reasons) to go to Korea and teach English through my church, I learned about Hangul and what its creation meant to the Korean people.

It freed them from the shadow of the Qing dynasty and made it possible for the lowest of the low to learn to read and write. And the genius it took for ONE man to transform an entire language and an entire culture is astounding. I don’t think there is another world leader of any age who has done as much for his people.

(Yi Dol was, if I can be terribly anachronistic, Joseon’s/Chosŏn’s George Washington, and not unlike George Washington, he suffered terribly because he chose the path of compassion rather than power.)

That’s why, as I get more involved with Tree with Deep Roots (which is how current American English usage would have the title written), I weep at what Korea has suffered to maintain its identity over millennia, but.

I can’t help laughing at some bits of dialog.

From episode thirteen, at the point where some soldiers are definitely throwing shade about the FL who’s managed to escape capture: “They couldn’t even handle one chick?”

(Giphy)

Also from episode thirteen, this frighteningly precise description of a book of prescriptions for illness: “I’ve recorded in the National Korean prescription compilation that this weary and vomit-inducing contagious epidemic . . .”

Obvs the dialog would have been a bit tighter and easier to follow if it had read, “I work at Walgreen’s pharmacy and I made a note about this epidemic in my copy of the Orange Book.”

(Giphy)

It would be much easier for all concerned if we could just do that weird K-drama time travel thing and check the dialog with the actual historical figures being portrayed. I’m old enough that I could definitely pass for somebody’s tottering helmoi (deaf-mute and blind but ready to kick butt at a moment’s notice).

And there would be enough kimchi around for slapping!

2 Likes

Tree with Deep Roots keeps getting better and better, both in terms of celebrating what I have come to think of as THE pivotal event of Korean history AND in terms of doing that thing K-dramas do so well: the scene where, after seemingly endless experiences of heartbreak, misunderstanding, and failing to recognize each other, the ML and FL tied by that Red Thread of Fate finally come together, embrace each other, cry a whole lot, ask forgiveness, grant forgiveness, and then IMMEDIATELY get plunged into a challenge to their relationship that confirms their “love destiny” . . . and also allows the ML to kick butt, take names, deliver a few well-placed martial arts kicks, and pretty much answer “yes” to the question: “Did you save a country in a former life?”

Episode 13 is THAT episode. It comes three episodes before episode sixteen, which is about right, and the romantic melodrama is so . . . melodramatic.

I guess because TWDR is so big and so dramatic overall, the fictional characters which allow modern viewers to connect to ancient history emotionally also have to be big and dramatic in their behavior, but, I’m sorry, the opening scene of episode thirteen made me shriek with laughter. It reminded me so much of the silent movies.

In 2011, when I was just discovering ■■■■■■■■■■, I watched mostly rom-coms and family dramas as a way to de-stress from a really horrible job but didn’t have time to focus on more than commonalities with American culture.

And drool over the food.

But I did have time to notice the incredible “scenery chewing” that often occurs when fated lovers are finally united. It’s a really big reason I love K-dramas: emotions are SO buttoned up and yet so over the top.

A handsome man, a beautiful virgin, a sword, and snarling evil-doers! YES, please! It’s going to be killer!

5 Likes

If I were a drama-producing company, I’d immediately hire you to write the press-releases!

4 Likes

My gift certificate finally showed up in my email inbox with a nice selection of options for redeeming it. Thank you, @vikicommunity.

2 Likes