Subtitle formatting

I don’t know for other languages, but I don’t think so because too many languages! For the most popular ones, it should be covered, but some are under construction for many years.

ah okay. thanks for your answer =)

2 Likes

I assure you that’s what I was told. It made sense to me, although I was sad to read it. But of course you’re also right, having nothing is surely not good.

Aaaanyway, we’re off topic, so let’s stop talking about that here. We might move the part about NSSA, starting from your post about French senseis which is on another thread, and also what is here, yours and mine, to a relevant thread. For instance this one, made by you:
https://discussions.viki.com/t/how-to-become-a-better-subtitler-subtitle-academy-for-each-language
What do you say? So that everything is where it belongs and we don’t confuse other people…

1 Like

I’m going to link this post to the other post so ppl won’t feel it’s going all over the place:
https://discussions.viki.com/t/contributors-who-want-to-demotivate-other-contributors-on-purpose/12476/81?u=irmar

About those breaks everybody is talking about. My LG smart thingy coupled to ChromeCast interprets the breaks by:

• skipping them
  • adding a space between two words if no space was previously created around the break
  • does not add space if space is already there.

Since we know that Viki is no longer supporting smart tv apps, only casting devices and tv boxes, the information from Viki posted up there seems outdated and should be taken with a grain of salt.

I’m more annoyed that the same combo (ChromeCast-Smart TV) recognizes every single space. Which means if someone makes a typo of a double space, thinks it doesn’t show on smart tv (like it doesn’t on viki.com) and therefore they don’t feel obliged to correct it, the mistake is very visible.

2 Likes

I had to read carefully your post to see the subs in my mind XD
If I understood it well:

• breaks are replaced by a space, except if the space is already here, breaks just disappear.
  • double space… oh no… I’m having a headache… Have to go back on episodes to check… joy!

But I wonder if casting devices and tv boxes give the same display.
I have to check with tv boxes and ChromeCast, I haven’t watched TV since a long time!

Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :smile:
On the bright side, this might not be happening at all when using Roku and other devices.

No worries!

For TV box:
I’ve given up midway because it was long loading on my TV when I skipped and I haven’t picked a proper drama for that, they didn’t talk a lot for breaks XD
I have to find a drama with breaks mid-sentence on the web version and where they talk a lot, then watch a few scenes on TV.

If it’s different depending on the machine, it’s better to know which version will have the most “correct” display for all.

If we add a space before and after br for dialogues, it means the double space, right?

Wait…so is this format correct then?
I’m sorta confused :joy:

@feyfayer so we do this alle the time (Format: - First speaker here.
- Second speaker here.)

Yes I know :slight_smile:, but seeing the conversation between @piranna and @bozoli I wondered whether it should be:

Speaker 1BREAKSpeaker 2 (no spaces before or after the BREAK)

1. Speaker 1 BREAK Speaker 2 (a space before and after the break)

2. Speaker 1 BREAKSpeaker 2 (a space before, but not after the break)

I was confused because the formatting results in differences on the smart TV / apps, which I don’t use, but I wanted to know, because:

i was confunsing too all the time reading this. but i know all the german teams take this one => (Format: - First speaker here. < br >- Second speaker here.)

we cut the br out of dramas in the middle of the sentecne, cause when you watch them on plattforms it looks…
so yeah… what is wrong or right… hm hm

1 Like

When I subtitle I do it this way:

‘‘Hi, how are you?’’

• ‘‘I’m doing well, thanks.’’

The dash is placed there to indicate there are two speakers. If both sentences get a dash in front of them it only gets confusing. Some people don’t hear very well and sometimes a scene requires your full attention to follow the story. If both sentences then get a dash, what differences do they indicate? There is no difference.

Besides, this is also the way professional subbers from tv programmes and movies subtitle. I think we should not adapt the subbing to be compatible to the Roku app/Smart Tv, but these devices should adapt to these subbing styles.

1 Like

also on netflix they do it the way we do here … i saw there also => - Speaker One. < br >- Speaker Two.

The “…” i only knew from books, ff´s and so on.

Roku App is something most Europeans don´t know… i think… oô
samsung don´t have a viki app, i checked on my brothers new tv xD
on my new sharp tv also not, cause it´sno samsung x_x

I agree you on this, however, I’ve been told several times that that form is incorrect. I just reply that people have their preferences and neither is wrong O.O

1 Like

When I started volunteering on Viki, I was told to add for each speaker one dash with a space before the text and all my teams are following this rule.

-blankHow are you?< br >-blankI’m fine, thanks.

And I’ve never seen your version with just one dash in the English subtitles.

When I’m subbing in a team and the moderator asks us to do it this way, then I’ll do it like this. But do you know why this is the rule? I don’t see any logic in this.

I think, it’s easier to read.

The dash is to separate two speakers in one sub. This means that you don’t need it at the beginning of a sub at all. Subs need to be as short and visually least inconvenient as possible. Hence, the dash is never used on Croatian television at the beginning of a sub.

By applying the same logic, I never put notes at both the beginning and the end of the song lyric.

Ultimately, there is no universal rule for all the countries and even in some countries two TV houses opt to format some things in two different ways.

1 Like

Bozoli used Chromecast:

Sub 1: skipping them, adding a space between two words if no space was previously created around the break

- Hello.<br>- Hello.

Chromecast:
- Hello. - Hello. 1 space

Roku (from Viki’s article):
- Hello.- Hello. no space

Sub 2: skipping them, does not add space if space is already there.

- Hello. <br>- Hello.
or - Hello.<br> - Hello.

Chromecast:

Roku (from Viki’s article):

>Sub 3: skipping them, double space. `- Hello.
- Hello.`

Chromecast:
- Hello. double space - Hello.

Roku?

Picking Sub 2 or 3 should be okay? (I'd prefer 3, but we can't know how it is displayed on other devices or all devices if we don't check and I don't have all devices to be able to check. If each of us check on different devices, it would be fun and easy to find out :joy:
2 Likes