Whatever happened to the 'new QC program'?

Because it cuts into their profits because they plan to expand into that country or site that shall not be named also bought out those specific rights.
The last time this happened it was also for a show that that site had exclusive North American right to. Basically if you restrict North America that’s like 90% of all Kor-Eng subbers. I didn’t know but the 3rd largest overseas Korean community in the world is LA.

2 Likes

Oh well, more hands for finishing other shows earlier, then…
Their loss.

I rarely like a show so much that I’ll scout the whole big wide net for it :wink:

About vpn… I’ve heard that it makes the connection really slow. How is your viewing affected, compared to the way it was without vpn?

I thought the point of that was to restrict those more internet-savvy, who can go around the regional restrictions, from watching in their own language. Funny part is those people usually have a good knowledge of English anyway and could therefore watch the show in English.

3 Likes

@bozoli

Silly, isn’t it?
Makes me think those people whose business is airing shows online never watched one themselves to see how it works.

2 Likes

er didn’t try to play it. To be honest I sub if I like the team. The show doesn’t matter that much. For ex penultimate ep of Lucky Romance was such a bore to sub. I’ll let you know @irmar

@christina_ it is an exercise in futility to try to understand idiots.

Hello !

I have encountered a problem with someone who just had fun today and who went on 14 shows, creating false segments and subtitles only using dots “.” and “…”.
This “contributor” has all of her 1600 subtitles with only dots or double dots and her 1500 segments were only created to sub dots.
The new QC program should be reviewed because to reach 3000 contributions, she did it in 7 hours, only using scissors and dots.
It will be a waste of time for contributors who have to fix what she has done with fun and it’s unfair for viewers.

It’s too easy to become QC now, to drive a wedge on Viki and creating more work for us fixing this. We only want to have a good time on Viki and only spending our time on Viki contributing and watching dramas without having to bother about mess like that.

• Either we close automatically the channel to people who are not part of the team : so we prevent this behaviour.
  • Either we change the new QC program : so we prevent this behaviour but I don’t know what to propose.
  • Either segmentors or CM have more power so they can fix this easily when the damage is done.

Here are examples of the cons of this new QC program :

We can see “.” in the following segment and many strange segments with impossible length :

98 % of dots...
1 Like

Oh but it’s an epidemic?!

2 Likes

@piranna : Coucou, je suppose que tu l’as signalé au staff de viki directement. Parce que, par l’intermédiaire du help center, ça mettra un siècle à être corrigé. Et comme ça, le compte sera effacé directement. Ce genre de chose arrive régulièrement, mais les comptes de ces personnes sont effacés dès qu’on le signale. J’ai déjà vu ce genre de cas et le problème a été assez vite réglé.

1 Like

Hello kobolt !

Yes, I have reported it to Viki staff. Phew, hope it’s gonna be settled quickly as you said :persevere:
I just wanted to say in this discussion if we could find other solutions when we encounter this situation. Because hopefully, we don’t have thousands of people doing this kind of joke but if there’s more people doing it, it’s gonna be tiring so better to find a solution instead of flooding them with this kind of reports.

Thanks for your concerns and have a good week !

2 Likes

This keeps happening. I reported someone last week directly to Viki Staff. This person had done over 5,000 segments that way. Cheating should not be allowed and like you said, there needs to be a way to prevent it. Automatic QC is too much of a incentive for these people.

Have you reported this person? I can do it if you want. I have reported a few already. :slight_smile:

Mirna

3 Likes

Yup I have reported her thanks for your kind offer :sparkling_heart: !

Great! I’m glad. It is so unfair to those who work hard to achieve those 3,000 segs or subs. Glad you caught that. :wink:

2 Likes

The Italian guy has also been suspended.
But this is a warning too, for Channel Managers, to lock all the episodes of languages with no moderator, and for moderators, lock their episodes as soon as they are finished, and also keep the future ones locked (if it’s an old show where all are available). I hadn’t thought of doing this, and this guy came in . Now I’m more aware. It’s a hassle, having to unlock each one as you go, but better safe than sorry.

3 Likes

Is it possible to lock an episode before it’s released ? Because the episode where there was damage was just released today but I don’t know exactly the time when it is released and hopefully I was at home today to lock for my language but I can’t garantee when I am not here of what will happen when more episodes are released.
Moreover Cm are busy and can’t always sign in on the day it is released.
Moreover I think there was a topic about too many languages on Viki like about 200 languages

No but I know for Spanish the spanish mod locks it as soon as the episode airs to prevent intruders (not on team).

3 Likes

The Channel Manager can lock the segments once the episode is uploaded, then only can lock the subtitles once there are created.

Only each Language Moderator can lock the respective language even though we don’t have subs created :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have seen that the Channel Manager can lock subtitles for all languages or some of them.
I just went to check again and take a screenshot.
On the managing page, on the upper right hand corner is the locking of segments, but if you scroll down, to the left, you will see that you can lock/unlock the various languages.

3 Likes

I think a feature which allows for mass deletion of segments (maybe even across episodes) will do the job.
You just mark the segments, press delete, and within three seconds the vandalism is cleaned.

limiting access is less community-oriented. Being open to the public is good, it just requires efficient maintenance tools. And maybe even some automatic control system which alerts when someone pastes the same text over and over again.

1 Like

The mass deletion of segments is feasible only when there aren’t (good) subtitles. Otherwise, all the hard work of many people will go to waste. It’s like throwing the baby with the bath water.