ENGLISH EDITORS thread

Yes sometimes it does happen that the cm is the ce or ge it’s actually quite natural.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing your ample knowledge with us. I love how educated you are in your response, and how knowledgeable you are in the subject.

Actually it is an old(about one year) drama so there is high probability that they won’t see her comment in the team discussion

Oh yes, It might work @oriya follow what @angelight313_168 said if you don’t get a reply back in the inbox.

2 Likes

That is a lot of lifting for the English subtitles to do, but with all volunteers, I understand why it is that way.

I answered my own question about contractions, too. I’ve noticed a few in the episode of Tale of the Nine-Tailed that I’m watching right now. They do seem easily translatable, though.

2 Likes

The Translation Editor, of course. The English editors make the English grammatically and syntactically correct and fluent, based on the assumption that the subtitle is correctly translated from the original language. Because the TE is the one who supposedly has made sure of that. The English editors and the CM typically don’t know Korean (although a few of them do).

1 Like

That would be correct for American English. :sunglasses: We often drop the 'Do’s and ‘Are’s’ in typical conversations.

You’re kidding, right?
You want me to run across the freeway?!

Most Americans have ancestors who were not English speakers so we don’t necessarily try to speak like the English do. Several sentence constructions use antiquated English styles that are no longer used in England. But most of us don’t know any better and we don’t care. To us the important thing is to get our point across. There is real pressure to not ‘talk so fancy’ (using formal English syntax) because people will say, ‘You think you’re better than us?’, when you do so.

1 Like

There is a surely a difference in those two, and they are both correct.
The one which is not in normal question form is a rhetorical question. Leaving it as is, a repetition of the other speaker’s words, conveys the feeling of disbelief. As if trying to understand whether you’ve heard correctly because you don’t believe your ears.
So you don’t need to change it, it’s perfectly fine.

Let’s make another example. Consider the two possible replies to the words
“I love you.”

• Do you? (Real question, she does not believe him, she is suspicious, she probably thinks he’s tricking her)
  • You do? (Disbelief, probably delighted, but it’s not a real question, rather a rhetorical one. I believe you but I never thought you did love me It’s like saying "Is that right? Did I hear right?)
5 Likes

Let’s please keep this thread clean for English editors who want to offer their services. Try writing here: Channels needing help in segmenting, subbing or transcribing
and here
Movie channels needing help in subbing or transcribing
and here:
Anyone Interested in Transcribing Older K-Dramas?

2 Likes

This is also my approach. I’m always mindful that what I edit needs to be easily accessible to other languages. If 80% of my work can meet this requirement, I’m happy. There will always be technical terms some words that cannot be simplified.

I also keep in mind that some people who speak English as a second language also watch the English subs. This is another reason that I aim for easy-to-understand English. My many years of teaching overseas students from Asian countries helps with this. Until I started subtitling, I didn’t realise that years of working with overseas students and explaining concepts to them in simple English would become a valuable subtitling skill.

5 Likes

New future editor:

Formerly @mollyurbestie
Joined February 20, 2021 - She has Viki Pass Plus
Here is her profile page:
https://www.viki.com/users/planetjieun/about

3 Likes

Hi all! I’m a native English speaker and professional editor and proofreader looking for GE opportunities.

I enjoy watching K-dramas and C-dramas in my downtime, so I was excited to learn that there were contributor roles for people who don’t speak more than one language. I’m slowly (very slowly) teaching myself Korean, but for now I’m looking forward to contributing as a General Editor in English.

I’m in the process of starting my own editorial services company, and I have bachelor’s degrees in English and journalism, as well as a master’s degree in publishing with a specialization in editing.

You can find my profile here: https://www.viki.com/users/dvanoll293/overview

5 Likes

Good job in writing here, and putting the info on your profile page as well. Now I would advise you to search the contributor pages of dramas and films and seek the names of English Chief Editors. Then write a personal message to all of them saying the above, and also that you don’t have a Viki Pass yet (you may get one for free after having contributed 3000 subtitles, which is about 3-4 drama episodes or a long film).
Don’t go to “Coming soon” dramas to specifically ask to work on that project, because the new ones almost always require Viki pass. Whereas an experienced Chief Editor will also have older projects which are free for everyone. Start with those (even if they are not exciting) until you become Qualified Contributor. This includes a Viki pass, as mentioned above, but also access to many other dramas which are not normally licensed in your region. Sadly not all, but many.

Wishing you the best of luck!

6 Likes

Hello! I am looking to become an English editor for any shows needing the help. I am a native English speaker and have a Bachelor’s degree in English. I have taken several writing courses and love the process of editing and proofreading. Let me know if I can help you out!

7 Likes

See the above advice. First populate your profile page nicely and then write to Chief editors.

4 Likes

Continuing the discussion from ENGLISH EDITORS thread:

Thank you – I’ve added to my profile and will seek out a few English editors to message.

3 Likes

I really agree with everything here that you’ve written (not sure where this reply will end up on the page, so I mean all the things you wrote in your response to the ‘tortured language’ comment above).

Except I do find that often, the English used in subtitles isn’t international, but US-centric, and I think about all the other English-speakers, including me, who are watching and having to mentally translate those words.

4 Likes

All the editors are instructed to stick to American English for uniformity :slight_smile:

We can’t really have “international” English because there is no such thing. People usually use either US English or British English.

4 Likes

Where there is a choice of word between BE and AE, we put AE, because most of the subbers (Ko-En, Chi-En, Jap-En) are mostly in America.
What I mean by “international” English is to avoid all idioms, words, acronyms and references that would be understandable only in the US.
Recently we had a sentence in “One The Woman” which used the word “jackshit”. The General Editor, who is Australian, didn’t even know what it meant, and I also had to look it up. We substituted it, which is sad because it’s very colourful and it matched the style of the character very well. Now the subtitle is bland and I’m still looking for a stronger alternative. But if the viewers have to scratch their heads and stop to go to a dictionary, that’s not good.
This doesn’t mean dumbing down and shunning less-used words. But this was particular to only one nation of all the ones who use English.
Let me make an example I remember vividly. I’ve already mentioned it in another thread, but let’s repeat it here because it is pertinent.
In “Legend of the Blue Sea”, someone comments on someone else’s tracksuit colour saying “What are you, Rudolf?” I was an OL mod in that show, so I went to TD and asked the CE if what was meant was Rudolf Valentino or Rudolf Nureyev, because the connection with the tracksuit didn’t make sense in either case. It was replied to me that they referred to a character well-known in the US, Rudolf the raindeer. I had never heard of him. I know Disney characters, I know the Simpsons, Charlie Brown, and a few other US characters, but my knowledge isn’t all-comprehensive. So the CE went and changed the sub because she figured that if I didn’t know him, many other international viewers who use English subs here would also be baffled.

6 Likes

By international English, I mean what irmar has explained below (I was also using their term from the previous comment). I think irmar makes an important and fair point - ‘US English to be used in subtitles’ shouldn’t be taken as ‘use US idioms and other language only those who live there or are familiar with it use or understand’. I think we could come upon a sort of international English that tries not to use any terms like that, but ones that are understood throughout the English-speaking world. Usually, there are options for the words we use, and an option can be chosen which is familliar to most. Sometimes, a word will only be used in the US, while all the other places use the same different version, or another word altogether. Like ‘Mom’. Does any other country say or spell it like that? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :grinning:

The division between British and US English is well-known because that’s what all the textbooks and other resources have. As though there are only two options! But in Australia, we use some terms from each, and some of our own. We don’t speak either British or US English. That would be the same for people in New Zealand, South Africa, and Canada. US English is very regional-specific, although it’s used in some places with historical or current ties to that country, such as Korea, as the preferred version.

1 Like