Funny subbing mistakes

I know what a faux-pas is. I grew up with French and have a Sorbonne C3.
But I thought it was the name of the Viki team. I hadn’t noticed that it didn’t have the "@Viki.com" they usually have at the end.
This is an oops moment indeed. Like when, at pirate sites that steal our viki subs, they forget to remove the credits and we see the name of our teams. LOL.

5 Likes

I can’t explain exactly why it’s funny, it just is :smile: Cup noodles is definitely not makaron kubkowy :smile:

Walczący is more like fighting with someone (with swords for example) and it was supposed to be translated as good luck :sob:

4 Likes

This made me burst out in laughing. :joy: True Beauty, episode three, in the Finnish subtitles during Hwasa’s song “Maria”, the lyrics are translated so badly. Here, for example the lyrics say “Minua on kritisoitu niin, että kärsin ummetuksesta”, which translates directly to “I’ve been criticized so, that I suffer from constipation”.
I just know somebody used google translate to do this :sweat_smile: Watching this show, and it’s incredibly bad translations, inspired me to start subtitling to Finnish here in Viki. :joy:

IMG_8788

9 Likes

This was how most of our stories started, too…

8 Likes

okay that is hilarious :joy:

2 Likes

I tried for fun google translate a few years a go and it translated kissanpennut as cat puppies (don´t think it´s as bad any more but I wouldn´t trust it). My mother is Finnish but I wouldn´t want to try translating (i translate here on Viki from english-swedish) it… :wink:

2 Likes

One of the other things that can cause some misunderstandings is that different countries with their own particular language idioms do not always mesh well with those common to other nations and cultures.
In the UK there are quite varied accents and language usages that differ between counties. In Oz even the words used are different…polony in WA, devon in NSW, balony in Qld, and luncheon meat in SA…but this usage also changes over time and with mergers with incoming cultural and media groups. So humour also varies between them. We are such a diverse species and it really adds so much colour and fun to everything so enjoy it all!!

6 Likes

:joy::joy: took me a moment to realize which idiom they butchered

12 Likes

The wild ride I’m on, watching one of these dramas. Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

I’m literally holding on for dear life! Trying to read.

Thankfully the pause, and rewind buttons work. But who wants to watch a show this way? Especially one that’s action packed! :rofl: Yup! Here’s the one!
!Snow Eagle Lord | Mainland China | Drama | Watch with English Subtitles & More ✔️

I’ve got another find on Snow Eagle Lord, don’t ask? but it is what it is! :rofl: Read, and weep! :joy:

7 Likes

I still wonder if they said it in a historical drama like it’s translated by paid the subtitler?? :scream: :rofl: Unfortunately the screenshot doesn’t show the scene, anyone has an idea how to go about it. I’m on Opera browser…

4 Likes

Makes sense to me. It’s not a streamed service as far they’re implying. Here’s a clip of the scene.

Btw you can hit the PrtScr key on your keyboard when the screen comes up then crop it before you post it. Alt+PrtScr for the current window. Paste it into paint or another image utility then save.

2 Likes

:laughing::smile::smile: fresh vibes, they talked like that on Douluo Continent? :joy::joy::rofl: These screenshots, are from the animation called, Soul Land found here on Viki!

:rofl::joy::joy::rofl: The Buck Stops Here! :joy: If it was the 20th century, even, yea. LMBO! :smile:

8 Likes

They are using a lot of AI to do the subtitles and they always add HE when is a she. Is like SHE/HER (female) doesn’t exist in their vast memory because it only happens with female characters defined all the time as HE instead of SHE.

Also, the AI can’t transmit emotions in dramatic/romantic scenes and so on…making the subtitles become a poorly written(translated) script. I don’t see why they can’t have a ‘‘human being’’ correcting those so ANNOYING ‘‘mistakes/typos.’’

4 Likes

I think that at this point they should know that this isn’t working, there are a lot of wrong subtitles in the languages they’re testing it

4 Likes

@natyh

Yes, the subs are worst than ever; in OL customers are voicing their disgust to NFLX (and others) that the subtitles are so poor they are worthless to read. They are going to loose the clients if this continue like it is bc so far their line is; ‘‘we are working to improve…’’ and citing endless worthless excuses. Not everyone is able to read English subs.

Even in Spanish most subtitles sucks big time with the same issues; addressing female as male and so on… :pensive:

3 Likes

Lost You Forever :woman_shrugging:t5: What am I missing?

5 Likes

Lol, thanks for pointing that out. I’m an editor for the show and this specific episode. This line was a presub and I remember it very clearly too.
In Chinese, there are different ways to say male and female: 男 nán (male) and 女 nǚ (female) which is different from 公 gōng (male) and 母 mǔ (female), because 公 and 母 are only used in reference to animals. So the rabbit spirit, the one talking, is saying that them demons only differentiate between being a male or female animal and don’t have the humans’ concept of male and female, which is slightly confusing in English.
By the way, when was this screenshot taken? Because I had edited it 12 days ago.

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, how did you edit that sentence so that it makes sense?

3 Likes

@xiaofengcanyue,
Just getting back to see your very helpful info. 谢谢!Xièxiè!:+1:t5:
I took that screenshot right before posting. :wink:

:face_with_monocle: hmmm, so, that sentence is more like saying, demons need to have more class. Smart people can be so effortlessy snotty.

3 Likes

Good question, I had contemplated how to edit it for a while and eventually settled on, “We only differentiate between male and female demons. There are no men or women.”
This makes more sense in context because it follows the dialogue. The person the rabbit demon is talking to is a human male physician who says he can’t help her deliver her babies because he is a man.
If you have any other suggestions to edit for clarity, please let me know. I’d gladly take suggestions.

4 Likes