The "Viki Original" you haven't seen yet

I’m thinking these threads may be useful :wink: so, I’ve dragged them here as references, and resources. :roll_eyes: If she hasn’t already, I know who’ll be making use of thread number two, :rofl: and if you’ve been following this thread, you do too :joy:

1. Product Placements in Kdramas

2. Snacks and Kdramas

3. Things that you want to buy after watching a drama!

1 Like

All right, I understand it now. Since no one’s offended, let’s continue :smile:

Blame it on my duty as a filter/editor for both school and church student-led activities… I’m the one who checks for anything that could offend or hurt people in any way :sweat_smile: I’ve been in some nasty situations, so I just wanted to check if everyone is comfortable^^

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining where you’re coming from. I was very worried when you chimed in for a second time about religion and being offensive. I thought you might have been coming from the extremes of current (western) progressive ideology and being Maknae was treading on eggshells. An ideology that is incredibly damaging to the coming generation’s mental health/state of mind as they struggle to keep themselves from being destroyed by each other to maintain an unsustainable standard set by a vocal minority.
I for one can’t wait for that generation to finally snap and scream “Enough is enough!” and see what kind of counter culture that will arise against it and the children can finally breathe again.

PD-nim will never let that happen, he was parachuted in to bring traction to a writing topic. Having risen from a ditch and survived a recent office coup, he would quickly conclude the drama in a tidy manor.

He would have picked another drama

as an alternative to the rodent company’s

but that entails moving into C-dramas and taking on the mighty House of Mouse Productions with the very real threat of being arrested and having his organs removed against his will by the chief rodent that comes along with such an endeavour, but thankfully he no longer has to go there as @vivi_1485 still remains onboard.

2 Likes

As I write [somewhere in the Real Universe], it is 12:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time (modern time telling and its frame of reference is so Western and yet I’m in an Eastern time zone . . . and duh, of course it’s daylight . . .).

And because it is SUCH a lovely, lovely early autumn afternoon, I am having iced coffee and, finally, as a mini-celebration, a entire box of Pocky matcha–flavored bikki stix and an entire box of Pepero chocolate and almond bikki stix.

Doing it because I can. And because it’s fun.

(Giphy)

Maknae Vivi obviously has the personality and experience that would enable her to be outstanding in any of what (these days) are called the helping professions. She is a dreamer as well as a doer. She loves and she admonishes. She has a huge imagination and has practical skills that keep imagination from being just a lump of pretty porridge.

As far as anyone can be known through writings alone, Maknae Viki strikes me as being an empath. She doesn’t merely express a general, decent human concern for others’ feelings, she can identify with others so deeply that she doesn’t merely know what they know, she feels what they feel.

I have been that way all my life. It’s a gift, and it’s an annoyance. When I start feeling hinky (great English word) about any issue, it takes me forever to figure out that the feelings I feel are not mine per se, aand they are not being generated as a result of anything I am currently experiencing.

And it always takes me forever (or so it seems) to convince myself of what a wise friend said a few years ago:

"Feelings are a response to reality; they are not reality. Feelings may ‘feel’ like they can kill if they are not somehow banished, suppressed, or avoided all together. However, it is not what I ‘feel’ about feelings that can do me or anyone else harm; it is what I ‘do’ about feelings that can hurt my soul, my body, my relationships, my world.’"

Maknae Viki is the standout, as far as I am concerned, when it comes to basic compassion and decency, though of course her treatment of certain other participants in this thread–about certain Korean actors–might cause the casual observer to think she is just a little too mean at times . . .

(Giphy)

(Giphy)

Innate sensitivity and intelligence of a high caliber don’t make life simple for the possessor(s) of such qualities, but it makes life simpler and more peaceful for everyone else.

3 Likes

:see_no_evil: I have no idea why I’m receiving such high praise!

Summary

I took the Empath test and I don’t think I’m one. I’m extroverted, like noise and crowds, have been called insensitive because I can stomach lots of stuff others find gross like blood and surgeries, and I’ve been told I have a high pain thresh-hold. I joined these Discussions because I can’t stand loneliness. I like multitasking and I ignore energy vampires.

If you want to know what I am from the 16 Personalities, I fall under the ESFP-T category(Turbulent Entertainers)

Aaaaanyway, enough talk about the maknae screenwriter. I might die from too much praise.

Let’s find out what our MC’s characters turn out to be as we write, so we don’t have to spend time debating on them. For now, they’re just normal people.
Where do we start the story from? Them falling in love? Or should we leave that as a flashback for later and start from them flying to Seoul?

1 Like

As @entwyfhasbeenfound said it will set the tone for what follows. I would approach the start as the hook, a chance to answer the question ‘what’s this show about and why should I stick around?’
It can be full of action with explosions, car chase, fight scene, battles etc
It can be suspenseful, piquing the viewers enough to want to continue watching to find out what happens next. Perhaps a mystery or a killer on the loose, that will require a longer commitment before the case is solved or the killer caught.
Just a couple of opening types to hook in viewers.

If we start with them falling in love, it would take a long time before we even reach the first occurrence of the supernatural phenomena.
If we start with them flying to Seoul we can then shift the romance in a flashback as you suggested. I’m thinking maybe, couple surprise parents, parents react, Ha-Neul recount her trip to parents, [mulberry farm, how they met, fell in love and married] in a recounting flashback ‘mini series’ then jumping back to the main drama Ha-Neul concluding the recount and the main drama continues.
The flying back to Seoul opening will allow us to immediately introduce phenomena.

I already have an idea but I want to see other people’s ideas for the opening scene before posting my version. (reasonably detailed for that all important first impression)

3 Likes

Viki Fans

2 Likes

Look up Shinto belief

2 Likes

Just enjoyed this video again. :blush: Such a fun, and innocent time. :blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

Sounds like you are favoring a “cold opening” with a brief bit of back story.

(Gimp did this for me . . .)

Since we are doing this for fun, short and sweet (a la an itsy bitsy teeny weeny polka dot Bikini Bottoms meme), packing in major backstory via webtoon visuals (and not via saeguk wordiness) would be advantageous, would it not?

I could see this as a sort of five-episode PSA for human kindness. There is a recent very short K-drama which does something similar, essentially saying that its not good to run over people in your car. (Duh.)

Kami-Sama Kick Ass essentially says its very good to be clean, warm, loved, and safe in a familiar place. (Super-duh.)

(And you know, I’ve been thinking that, since we are so amazing :blush: :blush: :blush:, we could actually share what we create via a Facebook Page. “Gimbap and Bebop, a Viki a page for folks who think Viki is too cool for school.” Something like that. Of course disclaimers would be nice, even though none of our characters originate anywhere within the actual Viki structure.

And light (and possibly refreshing) warnings that, if people claim any of our hard work is theirs and we hear about it, kimchi slaps will be publicly administered. Viki-ites understand this respect for creativity well, but people who aren’t Viki-ites don’t.

I think that sharing what we do for others to see outside our own little Viki world would certainly give us incentive to take ourselves and our creativity seriously.

Fun worth having is fun worth doing well and sharing widely . . . and by gum, we are some of the most astute observers of what makes Viki tick that I know of.

The famous joke in English: “Be astute . . . we need more stutes.”

3 Likes

Flashbacks aren’t a problem. Since it’s a second-chance-ish drama, when they argue or have a falling out, we can slip in flashbacks of “when life was better” — how they met and all that good stuff.

2 Likes

Nicely put misswillowinlove, there are a few K-Dramas I’ve watched that were as much as two episodes, and like you said, they were,

I must decry any cogs in the wheel though, because I think the enthusiasm, and proof too, shows, this unique production company, :writing_hand: :fountain_pen: more than has what it takes for a 16 episode drama! :page_with_curl: :scroll: :memo:

Here is something I just read, posted on, and by Asian Wiki, Badger Productions might find it useful!
“Notes
Filming begins in August, 2013.
First script reading took place August 2, 2013 at CJ E&M Center in Sangam-dong, Seoul.
Early working title was “Kokoomacheorum Saenggin Kamjabyeol 2013QR3” (literally “Potato Star 2013QR3 That Looks Like A Sweet Potato”).”
https://asianwiki.com/Potato_Star_2013QR3#:~:text=Notes,A%20Sweet%20Potato").

2 Likes

An excellent idea! When you mentioned webtoon I thought you meant having that part animated!
(I read that A few days,weeks, months or whatevs earlier… in that French accent :laughing:)
In Bloody Romance they used animated storyboards to backfill some of the plot.
BR1 BR2 BR3

or does webtoon visuals refer to what I call cartoony/augmented reality bits?
SK1 SK2 sk4

Not a fan of Facebook ever since our fisticuff with Mr Zuckerberg’s minions. :rofl: :-1: but don’t let that stop you or the others.

2 Likes

My primary concern is not losing the laughter, lightness, and playfulness.

I absolutely have proof that all of us have the intellect, focus, interest, and knowledge to knock out a Very Viki script of almost any kind you care to name (except of course those with stupid, almost brain-dead second leads and passive-aggressive leads).

When I learned that Maknae Vivi was keeping track of the sections of this thread that were really moving ideas forward, I was Blown Away. And everybody else’s writing abilities (especially those who are “learned” multi-lingual or bi-lingual and not “borned” multi-lingual or bi-lingual) is so mature and astonishing to me, and the ideas are so sophisticated that I really do at times feel the weight of having to catch up.

The amount of research I have had to do in the past three months regarding the Korean language and alphabet, names of k-pop groups, names of K-pop group members, genres and tropes. It may seem like I’m just being flippant and tossing off whatever comes to mind.

I mean, I watched the original Red Dwarf episodes twenty-five years ago (due to the process of my local public TV station having to wait for the various RD series to conclude and then negotiate licenses). And I loved every single one. They were shown in the wee hours on weekends because they were so weird but had such a devoted following. For three or four years, I practically slept through church every Sunday.

And trying to mesh the imaginary OSPD-nim with @ninjas_with_onions AND thinking of Dave Lister as the perfect visual based on lots of descriptions AND looking for AND mystically finding the right graphic images . . . wow. The equivalent of a two-page single-spaced essay can take me five hours of hunting.

Oh, we have the grit, we have the heart, we have the joy.

However, just one two-hour movie script is an average of one hundred and twenty pages long. Text is single-spaced, but the format is very specific.

Software that does the formatting without a lot of problems is very pricey, and collaborative script-writing software that allows people in different cities, states/provinces, or countries to interact usefully . . . is even pricier.

Script-writing software that is free and open source comes with detailed instruction manuals that have a steep learning curve.

Even a thirty-minute TV show using professional script has those same economic constraints.

Now imagine everyone participating here, in different parts of the world, with different types of daily schedules, with different types of responsibilities . . . and think about how the creative process of collaborating on sixteen well-done “Viki Original” scripts would fit into those schedules.

From my perspective of thirty-five years of writing . . . they wouldn’t. And trying to go that route would shut down this thread permanently in less than a week.

My creativity mantra (from the Joni Mitchell song All I Want is “I want to have fun, I want to shine like the sun.” That doesn’t mean I avoid the challenging, but it certainly means I avoid the impossible.

Creating, producing, promoting, collaborating, and enjoying the heck out of this thread (given the nature of “real reality”) is a challenge that certainly can be met, but what that needs to look like is a bit trickier to deal with.

3 Likes

If you want collaboration, I can just add y’all as Editors onto the Doc I made. You can edit the doc however you want and comment on whatever lines you want. I think that works quite well… I’ve written skit scripts like that for Christmas with my cousins in Canada and the US. We wrote everything together and assigned responsibilities. Then I wrote out the screenplay and tagged everyone who was involved in that scene.
Then everyone sent in their videos and I edited it up to make it look like one skit.

3 Likes

Please add some Editors. But not OSPD-nim. Everytime Badger Productions’ head honcho gets an idea, and then says, in effect, let’s make it simpler, things get more complicated.

Miss Willow would love editing privileges since her latest hare-brained scheme (er, interesting idea) is to write dialog in the form of haiku . . . which would make the entire series about twenty minutes long.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I’d really like to join you as it seems really fun, but I have absolutely no clue what to do, who to ask etc… Can someone guide me? Am I needed somewhere? Is there a position that needs help? :smiley:

3 Likes

TAP-TAP-TAP! That is PD-nim tapping his conducting baton and signalling for the noisy, out of sync orchestra to stop what they’re doing and be quiet for a sec.

The objective is not to make it simpler, it’s to take the rough overall story arc and slowly refine it one level at a time.
I have considered right from the outset just how serious or how deep down we take whatever Badger Production chooses to try and have a go at bringing to production, but without knowing if PD-nim can coaxe a drama out of everyone so that we all get to contribute to producing something resembling a K-drama that we all love/hate.
Seeing what is starting to take form. I’ve been encouraging people to develop the story themselves. Taking in every and any scrap of ideas and seeing if we can really do dramas by committee and integrating them into whatever the overall story arc is.
Once we have a reasonably detailed drama from beginning to end then we can all decide if that is satisfactory as being “fully developed” we stop developing the Kami drama to the next level of details such as actual dialogue, which as you say will be incredibly difficult and time consuming. Then we can all move on to the next Badger Production and maybe give

a go or @vivi_1485 redo an existing show.

And all this alongside the day to day madness at Badger Production (I’m very aware that PD-nim is still sitting on the ground in his parking space and has not done anything with his lottery win) but I’m busy trying to get Kami to a point where we can make the decision that we are happy with what we have and move on in shortest amount of time possible.

2 Likes

Welcome! Do join in the madness! Basically there is a drama production company called Badger Production, the staff of which are the likes of you and me.
The objective is to have fun and integrate yourself into the Badger Production story with your imagination and creative writing. If you read @vivi_1485 google doc she has gathered up the Badger Production story so far Badgers’ Production We’re in the middle of trying to bring a drama called Kami-sama Kickass to full production at the moment which we take a little more serious as we try our hand at developing an actual K-drama. (your input to which is more than welcome)

3 Likes

Yes, I agree. As a matter of fact! I found your post lightened the load, and carved out a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. Quite a bit off the shoulders of everyone involved.
I just wanted to shout out the high aspiration, and enthusiasm I saw in the works. :wink:

After we successfully do the five episodes, we can do two even, wouldn’t it be wild if we got tagged to do a full blown 16 or 20 episodes? All participants traveling to collab in the real-verse for something that started in Viki-verse? ! !
Screenshot_20210817-220128_Messages

1 Like