[Viki Community Team] July 2023 Updates

Trivia & Summer Subathon wrap up!

Thank you to everyone who participated in our first live Trivia Event and the 2023 Summer Subathon! We’d like to give a huge shoutout to everyone who joined and supported their fellow contributors throughout the 2 weeks. :star:

2023 Summer Subathon Stats:

Here are some of Community’s achievements:

• There were a total of 2,878,622 contributions during the subathon, amazing! :star_struck:
  • Portuguese was the top subtitled language followed by Spanish!
  • Over 1,480 contributors earned an adorable nine-tailed fox badge! :heart_eyes:
    • Of these, more than 350 earned the new 250 badge!

Keep your eye on the Contributor Community News to stay updated on the next community event!

Fun Fact of the month

Did you know that our first Discussions post is dated August 2013? This means that Discussions will turn 10 years old next month! :tada:

To celebrate, we have 3 fun Discussions topics for you to enjoy. We hope you’ll join in the comments!

Sending our appreciation to everyone for being valued members of our wonderful Contributor Community!

17 Likes

Thanks Viki for this summary, I think this is the first time I read how many volunteers participated and also which language was ranging; I assumed the Spanish community would take the first rang :sweat_smile:, but here it is the Portuguese have taken over. :clap:

I congratulate already to the 10 years anniversary of the Discussion Forum, I can celebrate my joining in November same year, how time flies!! :joy: When I look at all my posts and replies it’s a huge chunk of my footprint that reads like memoirs :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :astonished:

I’m looking forward to the fall subathon!

9 Likes

Thank your dear Community Team :heart:

So, if I understand correctly, we were 1,480 active contributors on Viki during this period?
1,480 people worldwide doesn’t sound like much to me (220 countries worldwide in 2023 ^^)
Is it possible to know the number of contributors for each language please?
Thank you very much :wink:

6 Likes

The same feeling for me. It doesn’t seem so much contributors.

4 Likes

Thank you!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Yes, I went for the “sleeping beauty”, could have done more true, but I liked this badge the best.

3 Likes

Thanks for the badges but sometimes i wish if we get all of them when we reach the biggest one lol, I mean like collecting them one by one.
sometimes i love one of the smaller badges more than the biggest one but i’ve no choice unless if i didn’t contribute for the remaining time when i reach the one i like.
sorry, just a crazy idea lol

5 Likes

Happy early anniversary, @simi11 !! Ten years is so incredible!! Here’s to you!! :clinking_glasses: :partying_face:

Heya - I wanted to also give you a heads up that we are thinking of hosting something new for Fall. If you’re willing, I’d love to get your thoughts on it. :heart_decoration: Will you message me through my Viki profile here? If anyone else is interested in getting a sneak peek and sharing their thoughts on what we’re planning, please message me as well!

2 Likes

Hi @blueforest, great to see you! Thank you for your question. I’m so sorry if the 1,480 was misleading - it’s actually not the number of all Contributors, just the ones who earned enough points during Summer Subathon to receive a badge. Hope that helps! :sparkler:

We normally don’t provide numbers as there are hundreds of languages that are subtitled. However, the other top languages for this Subathon (following Portuguese & Spanish) were Italian, French, and German (in that order). Truly an outstanding showing by all! :clap:

2 Likes

Congrats on your badge, @lazarini ! :heart:

1 Like

I hear you, @lutra ! The little one on the 250 badge so reminded me of my fur baby when she was just a kitten. :white_heart:

Hi @iria360 ! Thanks for posting! Hopefully my explanation below will help clear things up! :yellow_heart:

1 Like

I’m happy to read that our French community is still there and active on subathon. (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠❤

3 Likes

@brendas
Do you maybe have some informaton on the application manager situation? Can we expect some useful changes (I personaly think that the manager is completely unusable without notifications)?

Hi @mary19c11 ! Sometimes the best ideas are crazy! Perhaps we just need to do a better job at making the bigger badges as cute as the smaller ones! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Usually the 10000 badge & top 100 badge looks the same with different colors, also we can see the character much better in the smaller badges​:sweat_smile: but i really appreciate the idea of picking an animal for the badges & the designs :blush:.

Hi @brendas ! Thanks for your additional information :heart:

@brendas Aren’t you exaggerating when you say there are hundreds of languages subbed at viki? Not including non- languages such as Klingon and lolspeak what is the evidence supported count of languages which are at least 90% subbed for at least one hour of video.?

3 Likes

Brendas, thanks for the badge. I’m wondering if volunteers will be awarded badges for helping for a decade long (or more) on Viki. I have been part of this community for 11 yrs. Could you please advise on this? Thank you.

4 Likes