Want to subtitle? Let people know!

Thanks a lot! :blush:

@bahaaraan_baran_569
Since many new volunteers did not always asked the CM (channel manager) or resp. language moderator to be put on the team in order to sub and some just went into an editor and did subtitles sometimes in dramas that already had assigned teams, Viki has now blocked the editor to outside volunteers.

If you want to volunteer you have to contact the CM or resp. language Moderator in your case for example German Moderator.
If you look at the main/cover page of a drama it sometimes states under a Moderator/Team(closed) meaning for that language the Team is full.
Even if it states so, sometimes volunteers have unexpected events and must take a break so a team takes gladly
another subber.
Some dramas can be only subbed by QC qualified contributor with experience) or living in a certain region.
Have you tried the Project finder?
http://subber.viki.com/project_finder?utf8=✓&submit_flag=1&type=subtitle&language_code=de&country_of_origin=kr
you might like this one it seems casual and easy there is no German Mod you would need to ask the CM to add you.
https://www.viki.com/tv/32181c-bapmokja-and-haeppy

If you find a drama that needs German subs contact the CM resp the German Mod, he/she can then give you directions about the subbing and a possible googledoc with the parts division etc.

At last checkout my profile with useful links about subbing guidelines and rules I recommend to read first before you start subbing, that will help you to write correctly subs into the box (I see you are very new).

Viel Glueck, pm me on vikimail if you need help (if you want to start seriouly subbing let me know). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello :slight_smile: I would like to help subtitling from english to german/italian^^

Ti ho mandato un p.m.

Hey :slight_smile: I’d really like to subtitle. I can translate English into German :slight_smile:

Greetings! I’m one of the two Channel Managers working on a classic Hu Ge/Yuan Hong/Ariel Lin/Liu Shi Shi drama and we really could use some more help with Chinese (Mandarin) to English. We’re blessed with some GREAT power segmenters right now and they’re ahead of us in the subbing by 6 episodes! We have 39 to complete, we’ve done 11 so far. We have a couple of great people helping, but they are incredibly busy with college
so we could use a couple more folks. :slight_smile:

Please, if you can do historical/costume/wuxia subbing and want to help, PM me :).

Linda/deadliftdiva_548, the commenter known as Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut
Legend of the Condor Heroes 2008 version
the best one!

2 Likes

Bonjour, je souhaiterai traduire des dramas, anglais-français, je n’en ai jamais fait avant. Je suis disponible le week-end et quelques fois la semaine.

@marina_simon_thaovan : Vous devriez contacter directement les modĂ©rateurs des dramas qui vous intĂ©ressent en leur envoyant un message. Vous pouvez aussi chercher sur cette page : https://discussions.viki.com/t/liste-de-personnes-voulant-traduire-et-editer-des-dramas/542/285 s’il n’y a pas des modĂ©rateurs qui cherchent des traducteurs.
Et jetez aussi un coup d’Ɠil Ă  : https://www.viki.com/tv/20181c-viki-u?q=vikiU sur la page de prĂ©sentation en français, il y a des liens qui pourraient peut-ĂȘtre vous aider.

Would love to help sub and segment Spanish videos as well as English to Spanish subtitles. Let me know if I can help your time
Kind Regards,
Val :slight_smile:

Hi -

Sie sollen schrieben mit “simi11”. (and that’s about it for my small etwas of German. :slight_smile: )

And if simi cannot use you
please contact me, if you can handle a costume/historical drama like Legend of the Condor Heroes. At present we do not have a team working in German. Simi has several dramas and she’s an excellent person to work with. :slight_smile:

Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut

See Simi’s note right above yours. :slight_smile:

Goodness, irmar, what a helpful post you have made for this person. :slight_smile:

In this one post, you have given them helpful tips, reviewed their request carefully, and given them options to improve their performance or reconsider applying for English editor positions which may not be their strongest place here in our community.

I just wanted to thank you for your kindness to the poster and hope someday we might work together. :slight_smile:

(Don’t judge my English based on my preferred spelling of “doughnut”.) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that each person sees herself in others. Kind people find kindness everywhere. Another person (maybe that poster) could see my answer as stingingly critical and ironic, basincally telling him/her they are no good for the place they were aiming at. You chose to interpret it in a positive light, which is what I hoped for, of course, but it also shows what you are yourself.

The truth is that as I age, compared to how I was in my youth, I have learned to try to temper honesty and sincerity with a bit more compassion and putting myself in the shoes of the person reading.
Still a long way to go, of course, but at least I know this is the goal. Because, although lying is distasteful to me and diplomacy difficult and not always desirable, I believe now that being sincere without compassion is no longer a virtue to be proud of.

3 Likes

I agree - and I also believe everyone who has already worked on a project knows none of us arrived with powers to leap tall buildings on arrival. :slight_smile: You and Simi both have posted some really great posts here to help new folks - and I admit Simi is the one who waylaid me and well
yeah. (laughing) I blame her for my current “reverse Bartholomew Cubbins” wardrobe of hats! The more stylish and “important” a hat is, the more work is truly involved, and editing is more complicated than the simple word in many languages. Change one word, the entire meaning from Chinese to English can change!

As fan of Asian drama, I’ve learned what being “upright” means. As a competing athlete and coach now for 20 years, I’ve also learned giving and accepting praise and criticism highly necessary to success. As part of a growing number of Viki volunteers, I’ve learned that it is more difficult than it appears when you turn your TV on and discover the subtitles are there for you to enjoy.

And thus, it is my hope that readers do take the sincere and thoughtful advice you and Simi have both given them and move forward to their own personal journey of contributing here at Viki. We see in others by their writing who they truly are, and sometimes we get misunderstood or misheard, but my hope is your original posting is well-received and they progress through the helpful training and find their way here along with the rest of us. The upright will always have a place and be heard and valued for who they are, virtually and in the real world outside.

Here I will share what happened when I first started: I approached someone and asked to segment on their drama. I was doing some transcription already. They gave me a fair chance, I did one section in its entirety. Before I even tried it though, I thought, “I want to do this right or not at all.” So I had signed up for both Academies in order to be sure of what I was doing. I did review the Guides, and I have a degree in physics, so my general skills and learning ability are pretty decent many years out of college. What happened? My segments were bad, nearly all of them, because it was not enough to read and try it. But the person who told me the truth made me even more her friend, because I already knew in my own heart after trying my best that I was not yet sufficient to the task and had signed up for training. :slight_smile: I’m graduating from the full Ninja Academy now, taking the test, and have now also earned the ability to help my friend here out in her dramas as well as help the larger effort working in my own drama. Had she not been honest with me, I might have continued onward with someone silently fixing my work or unhappily nuking it out of sheer sadness at the wasted effort!

And that is one reason I want folks to find their paths and persevere, with the help of others already far ahead on the trail who have been there and understand very well what is truly involved. :slight_smile: Thank you again, Irmar. :slight_smile:

Linda/Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut

4 Likes

:tulip: :tulip: :tulip: :tulip: :tulip: :tulip:

2 Likes

Oh Linda, that is a nice write up, thank you for sharing such journey and experience, this is inspirational and I hope fans will take it to heart that indeed volunteering at Viki takes a whole community to succeed not just according to a manual.:heart_eyes:

Congratulations on mastering Ninja Academy in Segmenting, I believe it is harder than it looks!:+1:
I hope you will continue to enjoy the community of many footprints here left by each of you, it is incredible, it feels as many of us know each other, although we have never met.:bouquet::rose::star2:

2 Likes

By the way
the person who broke the “bad news” to me about my original segmenting attempt was my now very good friend Mirna. :slight_smile: without whom I could not succeed here.

As I’ve taken that Ninja Academy journey and worked on the project I sort of got thrown into
I have met several more amazing folks here and learned a great deal about the entire process of how the world can view our dramas. :slight_smile:

I highly recommend taking this trip through what feels like Oz when you begin
but makes sense after you are firmly onto the Yellow Brick Road. :slight_smile:

For once upon a time
yes, I was clueless as Dorothy. :slight_smile:

Linda/CD, HD

4 Likes

I can help with subtitling from english to arabic if you need any help just let me know .thank you :smile:

I can translate from english to polish. If you want my help just let me know ! :slight_smile:

Yes. I am starting a new project, Unexpected Life Drama Specials. It’s a collection of 1-hour TV films, most of them of excellent quality.
Now we are translating the first one, “The Reason I’m getting married” which is really beautiful.
http://www.viki.com/videos/1087446v
Do you want to translate that one in Polish?