Funny subbing mistakes

I recently watched “Love is Sweet” on another streaming service (so: pro translators, not volunteers, I assume!) and ran across these two:

Here the speaker is frustrated trying to get the attention of her crush when he doesn’t notice she’s into him and is focused on his work…because he’s a “hard-core straight man!” :rofl: I think they meant to say “hard-nosed” or something but it comes out the opposite.

And then this one is just a typo but it made me chuckle:

10 Likes

vikisub

Normally I dislike laughing at the translations people make, because that might make them feel bad, but it is a google-translated sentence from a part which was fully gt, so I feel justified…

It’s a translation of “Learn, my arse” and it’s literall, which means… Yeah… :sob: Something like study my butt :sob:

I love google-translators…

8 Likes

A common misspelling or misuse of term? :wink:
Conscious vs Conscience. They do sound alike, though not exactly.

10 Likes

I should have screencap this but recently I TE’d a show that came with pre-subs and one funny one in particular was, “Aren’t you afraid, he’d know you’re a thot?” (something along these lines) But it was hilarious “thot” was used. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

:joy::joy:

18 Likes

6 Likes

The same person…
from “I am a neat freak.” translated literally, so it becomes something along the lines of “I’m a shaply weirdo”
I’m crying…

From “I warn you, I am running out of patience.” to “Warning, I’m doing patience”

From “Don’t move”
Omg… The words might sound simmilar, but they mean something completely different! T.T (don’t speak for context)

“but they are not fierce beasts.” to “but they are not [one] sharp beast”

“He is just faking smiles for business, right?” → “He’s just smiling to business”

“I just got a feeling that he was trying to please the girl” → “I just have a feeling, that he tries I ask girl” T.T

7 Likes

— deleted…

3 Likes

Screenshot_20220612-053030_Chrome
Screenshot_20220612-051853_Chrome
End of episode 22, - same lines - start of episode 23. I’ll take episode 22’s, :wink: thank you!
Screenshot_20220612-051937_Chrome
Screenshot_20220612-051951_Chrome

5 Likes

but episode 23 sent chills down my spine because they used “Kempeitai”… I don’t even know what the drama is about but I got scared for whoever the guy is talking to :flushed:

4 Likes

This may or may not be a totally accurate translation, I don’t know what the tone of the Chinese original is, but I cannot imagine using this kind of language with my mom! It reminds me of how walking around the streets of northern continental Europe you’ll hear a lot of language, like people throwing around English language swears, that are really quite worse/more vulgar in tone than anything they’d shout in public in their own language. Like loudly dropping F bombs at the grocery store or whatever. It used to really shock me! Anyway this isn’t nearly as bad but it’s just…not how I’d talk to my mom for sure! 58

6 Likes

Oh but we do. It’s a cultural difference. We have to look for parallels because every translation is a betrayal of some sort.

4 Likes

When you’re in love with someone you love

Hi @vivi_1485.

You always manage to find really interesting things! You also inspired me to think about “in love” quite a bit from a grammar perspective. I appreciate that! :slight_smile:

What got me thinking is that while English speakers say “in love”, they don’t say “in hate” or “in like” or “in hurt”, et cetera. On the other hand, they do say “in confusion” and “in turmoil” (any many others). When used with variations of the verb “to be” (e.g. are, am, is, was, etc.), it seems that in-something words are often a short way of saying “in the state of”-something.

So writing the above in full is… “When you’re in the state of love with someone you love” probably makes a little more sense to most people. This is how I heard the sub when I read it. Writing it in full also helps to identify that “in love” is acting as an adjectival phrase—when you substitute the adjective “happy” for “in love” it’s easy to see this— and “you love” uses the verb “love”.

When I edit English subs, I sometimes come across things similar to this where the same word is used in two different grammatical senses. I subscribe to the theory that this can often cause viewers some confusion so I do my best to avoid it and change one of the words. From a sub point of view, I try to use one word in one grammatical sense only. From a pun point of view, though, using a word in multiple grammatical senses can be fun :grin:

The love you feel when you’re in love with someone you love is lovely.

Thanks for getting my brain working again!
Mn

4 Likes

“In love” in Croatian indicates the first wild state of enamoration (why is the system underlining this word?) between two lovers.

“Love” on the other hand indicates an enduring love between lovers. Or love in general between siblings, parents and children, friends etc.

4 Likes

Thanks @bozoli. I always find it interesting how different cultures around the world see things. Very interesting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I did think that could be the original meaning, but it didn’t seem to fit in this context. Maybe it would work in a friends-to-lovers scenario, but this is Marimi(Marry Me!) - a marriage-without-love trope. ML is assigned to marry FL as an experiment before implementing a new law to increase the country’s birth rate and happiness quotient.

As you said, “fall in love” is an interesting phrase. Maybe “grow into love” or “ease into love” would have been better phrases in this context, because the leads sort of… eased into a natural romance stemming from friendship and trust. The meaning of the English word “love” has become a seemingly general term now, describing anything from “enamoration” or interest to desire or deep affection. You rarely see someone using “sarang”(K) or "ai"© with non-living things, but we say we “love” books and ice-cream all the time.

4 Likes

Hi @vivi_1485. This is so true. While I know practically nothing about how the word “love” is used in Korean and Chinese cultures, as you say, in English it’s a really general word and fit for multiple purposes.

Thanks for the insight into Korean and Chinese. Much appreciated.
Mn

3 Likes

FL is making instant noodles and adds milk. “Having the aroma of milk without its milky smell.” Say what?

11 Likes

May be the smell of raw milk?
Both differs right? Before you boil them and after it is served…

3 Likes

My brain can’t brain this one :grimacing:

2 Likes